Main Content

Home » Financing » Documentation Requirements

Documentation Requirements

Filling Out the Application

There are standard forms to be completed when applying for a loan. This information will be verified and used to qualify you for your loan, so take the time to answer questions accurately.



  • Copies of W-2s for the past two years
  • Copies of your past two years’ tax returns
  • Copies of the two most recent consecutive pay stubs showing year-to-date earnings
  • Copies of checking and saving account statements for past three months (all pages)
  • Copies of quarterly or semi-annual statements for checking, savings, IRAs, CDs, money market funds, stocks, 401k, profit sharing, etc.
  • Copy of sales contract when ratified
  • Employment history for the previous two years (address any gaps of employment)
  • Canceled earnest money check when it clears or corresponding bank statement, if applicable
  • Commissioned income – if 25% or more of base, must have tax return
  • Check for the expense of appraisal and credit report
  • Refinance copy of note, deed of trust, settlement statement, survey and insurance information
  • Any assets used for down payment, closing costs and cash reserves must be documented by a paper trail
  • If paid off mortgage in the past two years, need copies of HUD1
  • Copy of driver’s license for applicant and co-applicant
  • Copy of Social Security Card for each applicant and co-applicant.
  • Refinance copy of note, deed of trust, settlement statement, survey and insurance information


  • Copies of your past two years’ tax returns (with all schedules, including K-I’s if applicable)
  • Copy of current profit and loss statement and balance sheet
  • Copy of corporate/partnership tax returns for last two years if owning 25% or more of company plus copies of W-2s and/or 1099 forms.


  • Relocation agreement if move is financed by employer (i.e. buyout agreement plus documentation outlining company-paid closing costs benefits)
  • If you’ve had a previous bankruptcy, bring copies of petition for bankruptcy and discharge, including supporting schedules
  • Divorce decree (if applicable)
  • Documentation supporting monies received from Social Security/retirement trust income, i.e. copies of direct deposit bank statements, awards letter or evidence income will continue.


  • FHA: Copy of Social Security Card and driver’s license for each applicant and co-applicants
  • VA: Original certificate of eligibility and copy of DD214 discharge paper
  • VA: Name and address of nearest living relative.

HUD Consumer Handbook

1002 Raintree Circle Suite 100 • Allen, Texas 75013 • American Mortgage Company©. Company NMLS# 303719. All Rights Reserved.

“Figure: 7TAC §80.200(b)”
“Consumers wishing to file a complaint against a company or a residential mortgage loan originator should complete and send a complaint form to the Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending, 2601 North Lamar, Suite 201, Austin, Texas, 78705. Complaint forms and instructions may be obtained from the Department’s website at WWW. SML.TEXAS.GOV. A toll-free consumer hotline is available at 1-877-276-5550. The Department maintains a recovery fund to make payments of certain actual out of pocket damages sustained by borrowers caused by acts of licensed residential mortgage loan originators. A written application for reimbursement from the recovery fund must be filed with and investigated by the Department prior to the payment of the claim. For more information about the Recovery Fund, please consult the Department’s website at WWW. SML.TEXAS.GOV.”

Mortgage Broker

Skip to content